Friday, May 27, 2011

Season's End

It’s that time of the year again, the annual sequence of emotions that I begin to endure immediately following the San Jose Sharks elimination from the playoffs. After years of bleeding with this team, I have nailed down these emotions in 5 stages: Anger à Depression à Acceptance à Partial relief at the sight of sudden schedule flexibility à Uneasiness until late September.

Anger…
ensues the second the game has officially ended. I’m silent for approximately 30 seconds while I feel my temperature rise. Finally, I let out a few incomprehensible words that are unsettling to those who are nearby. Then I stand up, pace around, find isolation, and attempt to avoid social media at all costs as this greatly intensifies the emotion. In fact, I try to avoid my computer entirely. If this entry had been created during this stage, it would have consisted entirely of F-bombs and these: “jerqrqcfrecqer.” I eventually go to sleep. Enter Stage 2.

Depression…
occurs when I wake up on my bed/lawn/gutter the next morning. The blurry events prior to my uncomfortable slumber replay in my mind and the wound is fresher than ever. When I find the strength to start the day, concentration does not exist and productivity for my obligatory day-time activities is at an all time low. I enter the interwebs as if I’ll find solace from what many of us view as tragedy, but this just pours salt on the open wound. This stage of bleeding is the worst and can last days. If this entry was created during this emotion, readers foreign to the world of the San Jose Sharks would put me on suicide watch. Enter Stage 3.

Acceptance…
takes place when someone or something finally grants the heartbroken fan such as myself the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Yes, these are lines are from the Serenity prayer that is recited during Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. No, I did not learn this from abusing alcohol after Team Teal was eliminated and attending such meetings, but I’m sure many have. The bottom line is, the outcome of the Sharks season is out of my control. Do not dwell on the things you cannot change. I’m at this stage now and it is quite cathartic. Enter Stage 4.

Partial Relief…
happens when one realizes that the time that was recently entirely dedicated to the Sharks’ schedule is now open for what other people call “life.”  My poor cat finally has a clean litter box. I no longer have to sell my Giants vs. A’s tickets so I can watch game 3 of the Conference Finals as my team is down 2-0 in the series. Bummer, I really wish I had that orange Snuggy they gave away that game. Your loved ones have you back and they are no longer concerned about your physical and mental health. Life is somewhat normal again, but do you want it to be? Enter Stage 5.

Uneasiness…
will always be in the back of one’s mind. Uneasiness will exist until the Sharks exorcise the demons of underachievement by winning it all. This emotion will be at its strongest during the remainder of the off season, but the excitement of a “new beginning” during training camp and preseason games will temporarily mask this feeling. Is it September yet?

“Are you some kind of masochist?”
Someone not familiar with the culture of sports would ask “Why? Why put yourself through such angst and torment that is out of your control?” Until recently, I did not know the answer to this question and I’m still figuring it out. Other than the obvious enjoyment I receive from watching what I believe is the most entertaining game in the world; outside of my wife, nothing stimulates my brain more than my passion for professional sports. The analysis of stats, the colorful cast of characters that participate in the game who often carry intriguing upbringings, the friends made along the way because we share this common interest, and the highs of when my team does win a game will always outweigh the lows.

I cannot wait until next season.

Note: The video below clearly illustrates what could happen while entering the cruel world of the internet during Stage 1…