Sunday, May 29, 2011

2011 Stanley Cup Finals: Can they both lose?

…if it were up to a lot of Sharks fans, they would. This is one of those series where it’s hard for me to root for either team. How do I resolve this predicament? Easy, it’s a matter of who I want to see lose more than the other.
Why I don’t want Boston to win:
1.    The chants of “Thank you, Boston” can no longer ring through the Shark Tank
2.    2 years of San Jose being eliminated in the Conference Finals by the Stanley Cup Champions slowly chips away at the “choke” label.
3.    Talk about a stupid accent over there
Why I don’t want Vancouver to win:
1.    Raffi Torres is a turd
2.    The undeserved criticism that Luongo takes makes me laugh
3.    Stuff like this…

Yes, these guys represent all of Vancouver
Predictions:
The given:
1.    Fans of Boston will chant “USA, USA, USA” even though they have more Canadians on their roster and less Americans than Vancouver.
2.    Tim Thomas will have a shaky voice when addressing the media.
3.    Phil Kessel will take heat.
4.    I will hear limited coverage on local radio about this series as long as that Lebron James guy still plays that game where over-grown men bounce a ball, jump around, and try to put it in a hoop while avoiding contact. What? …Basketball sucks.
5.    BizNasty will tweet about scoring in Vegas and not so much on the ice.
What probably won’t happen, but I’ll say it:
Before the season started I picked Vancouver to take the whole thing. I haven’t felt so confident about a Stanley Cup Champion pick in September since the 2006-2007 Anaheim Ducks. I’m not tooting my horn about getting this right; it depresses me.
When late March arrived, my thoughts on who had the best chance of winning the cup changed. At this point, I still felt that Vancouver was the best team…when healthy. Face it, the journey through the Varsity League vs. the walk through that J.V. East will end up with a team representing the West in far worse physical condition than the team coming out of the East. This is the only chance that Boston will defeat Vancouver. With that said, I’ll go with the bold/stupid prediction that the fans of the team that “Kahbuhlay” plays for will win this in 6 games with Tim Thomas stealing a couple and next year we’ll see all those people who claim to be a part of Red Sox nation saying “That David ‘Krejdgcee’ guy is the next Wayne Gretzky.” Gahd, I hope so…as long as it means that those jerk Vancouver fans in the video above get to go home crying. There, now everyone hates me.